Saturday, December 1, 2012

Pam van Hylckama Vlieg: Literary Agent at the 2013 Conference

Pam van Hylckama Vlieg is another one of the literary agents coming to the 2013 Missouri Writers Guild conference. (Did you know registration is now open?) I had a chance to ask Pam some questions about what she represents, how to pitch to her, and her workshop. Pam is an associate agent at the Larsen Pomada Agency in San Francisco.  

MWG: Hi Pam, welcome to the conference blog. Thank you for taking the time out to talk with us today. Let's start with a few things about you as an agent. How long have you been an agent and who are some of your clients?

Pam: I have only been an agent since April of this year. But I've kicked off fast, selling 15 books so far these seven months! Some of my clients include Sarah Eden and Golden Heart Winner Lorenda Christensen in adult romance. Rhonda Helms and Cecily White in young adult.

MWG: WOW! That's great. You are off to a terrific start. What are you currently looking for? 

Pam: I'm always looking for great middle-grade, romance, and adult genre fiction.

MWG: What should authors know about pitching to you?

Pam: I'm probably the most laid back agent ever. But I'm also the most blunt.

MWG: What are you NOT interested in--no matter how well-written it is?

Pam: Nonfiction.

MWG: Thanks! You are also going to be leading a workshop in social networking. Why is it important for authors to learn about social networking?

Pam: Even in fiction, it is important to be social with your peers and build a network. Great writing always matters first, but networking comes soon after.

MWG: Yes, I think all published authors soon learn this! What will you cover in your workshop and who should attend?

Pam: I'll cover blogs, Twitter, Pinterest, Tumblr, Facebook pages vs. profile and lots of how tos. People who want to get the most out of social media or are just beginning [should attend].

MWG: Anything else you'd like to add about your workshop or pitch sessions?

Pam: Just that I am super excited to visit your fair state for the first time! And I can't wait to meet everyone.

MWG: And we can't wait to meet you either!  Thanks, Pam! 

Interview conducted by Margo L. Dill; Margo is the author of the new historical-fiction, middle-grade novel, Finding My Place: One Girl's Strength at Vicksburg. 

No comments:

Post a Comment